Tuesday, August 02, 2005

two suitcases

The last time I went to Russia, I took two huge suitcases. I was planning to be there from five to seven months, and while I knew I might move, the cumbersome logistics of maneuvering two of the world's largest suitcases (plus a carry-on or two) around St. Petersburg by myself hadn't really occurred to me. I ended up moving three times. By myself. When I went to Korea in 2001,  I was planning on being there for a full year. I brought the same two huge suitcases that I had taken to Russia. I had no plans of moving whatsoever during the year. I also had no plans on fleeing the country in the middle of the night with a 103 degree fever (let's just say that when you're that ill, moving two of the world's largest suitcases - plus a carry-on or two - is nearly impossible). I really wanted to be substantially more maneuverable this time around; however, after spending all day organizing and reorganizing, and performing the ritual packing triage on my possessions, I have come to the conclusion that I'm really going to have to take two suitcases. After all, I'll be there for a full year, and it's not like I'm going to be moving or anything.... Sigh.

No comments: