Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Power of Elves

Well, I had written a lengthy post last night, only to get here and discover that none of the computers would read my disk. So, I could either wait until tomorrow in hopes that I could save my writings to a functioning disk, or I could simply go ahead and write another post. I think I'll do that; I like writing.
Yesterday I had my second set of classes at the AH, and they went really well. The first two classes (the ones which had been really quiet the first time around) were a lot more willing to participate, and they seemed to even enjoy themselves. In the first class (as in my third), I used Nellie the Elephant by the Toy Dolls in class. We only listened to and discussed the first verse, but it was very easy for me to explain to them, and it also led into a good discussion of the simple past tense (grammer topic of the day), as I was able to ask questions like, "Where did the circus go?" "What did they bring?" and "What did Nellie do?" etc. I also used photos of friends and family to ellicit past tense statements. ("What did A do last April?" "He drank beer and played chess."). My third class of the day actually requested that I play them Jane by Elf Power, which I had used during my first class with them. One student even began singing it aloud of his own volition. The entire class sang to the whole song and several gave me tapes and asked me to make them copies, saying that it was a great song! My second class of the day (a lower level than the other two) got to listen to I am a Rock by Simon and Garfunkel. The lyrics were easy enough for me to explain them to the group; however, it is a sad and depressing song, so I think it may have put everyone in a mopey mood at the beginning. But they did all seem to agree with me that it was a beautiful song, if sad. (and as the grammar point was a review of present tense "to be," we focused a bit on "I am a rock," even though it's metaphorical.


No comments: