Monday, March 27, 2006

Death and Trafficking

Image hosting by Photobucket

So, I returned home yesterday, and this was what I saw, propped up against the door to my apartment complex. My first thought was, "Wow! That looks like a coffin. But surely it's not, so I'm going to take a picture!" Of course, in order to enter the building, I had to get up all close and personal with the thing, at which point I discovered that not only does it look like a coffin, but it actually *is* a coffin - or at least the lid to one. (Well, what else would it be, right? But who leaves their coffin-tops hanging out outside the front door?) I was a bit weirded out by the whole thing, and perhaps it showed in my face, for when I entered our apartment, Nina M. asked me if I was frightened. My response, "Well, there's a thing downstairs. For dead people." (I didn't know the word for coffin at the time. How is it I know the Russian words for grave and cemetery, but not coffin?) At which point she told me that our neighbor died last night. I'd never met him, or even seen him, except from a distance. Apparently he was old and had been sick for a long time. The coffin-lid was still outside when I left for work this morning. I wonder if that means that the neighbor is still in the house in the, you know, bottom part of the coffin? *Shiver*

This afternoon I had my second class with Marina, my individual student who is leaving for Egypt in three weeks (whom I wrote about HERE). After our initial lesson, I felt quite strongly that her job offer seemed unbelievably shady, so I sent an email to The Angel Coalition, an organization that works to prevent human trafficking in and from Russia. I told them exactly what I wrote in my blog last Thursday, and asked for advice. This is the email I received in response:

Dear Jane,

Thanks a lot for the information and your genuine concern! Please find attached Russian-language information that your student may find useful. Please let her know on your own that you believe the attached should be read thoroughly, and any decision should be well-informed. Some sections may seem redundant for her case, however, they might prove useful in the future.

Please emphasize for your student that no tourist visa can ever be legitimate. A contract should be sent to the lady BEFORE she leaves Russia. If she’s asked to leave and take care of trip-related financial issues “later on”, this should indicate a scam.

Thank you very much.

Oleg Kouzbit
Director, Trafficking Victim Assistance Center,
The Angel Coalition, Moscow

The lesson itself went much better than the previous one, as I was prepared for a Z2 level student, and as I was loaded up with worksheets on the present tense and vocabulary lists. But, since she's paying to practice conversation, we did do a good bit of that too. I asked a lot of questions regarding her potential job in Egypt. It turns out that she was at a night club, dancing, when a man approached her on the dance floor, and offered her a job in his hotel. I explained what she says the job will involve in my last post, but this time she mentioned the rules she has to follow: she must smile all the time, she must always have a good attitude, she must come to the club 6 days a week, she can't talk to one man for longer than ten minutes, and she is not allowed to have a boyfriend. Creepy, creepy. She also said that she will be in Egypt on a working visa, although she said she applied for it through a tourist firm in Moscow (the name of which she could not remember). At the end of the class, I gave her the five-page, Russian-language document sent to me by The Angel Coalition, and told her that it was information for Russian women about being safe while traveling overseas, and she took it eagerly. I hope she reads it! I also told her in great detail about how M and I fled Korea in the middle of the night, in case she needs suggestions on how to pull a runner... I guess we'll see what happens.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re coffin lids, they leave them there until the funeral to let everyone know someone has passed away, so they can pay their respects if they want to. In the Orthodox world the funeral is normally on the third day after the death, unlike in the Muslim countries where they bury their dead on the same day, before the sunset. And don't freak out if the street is covered with pine branches on the day of the funeral, that's also a tradition. I dunno if it's just me, but I've developed a habit of trying not to step on the branches. Not that you're *not* supposed to. I just try not to.

On a slightly less morbid note, nice of you to try to help your student. I also hope she reads the thing. Some russian girls/women have a massive blind spot where Egypt and Arabs are concerned, sigh.

I WATCHED THE VIDEO. You were right, it was tiny. Ooooh the hotness that is Jack White. The dude with curly hair/black hat wasn't bad-looking either.

Jack's voice is awesome and all...but I don't think anyone can beat Maynard Keenan (Tool, APC.) He's an odd character, but the voice is hearbreaking.

krayzykatlady said...

way to go, super-jane, protecting the innocent and all that. sadly, there aren't too many people who would go research a support group for someone they just met. very cool of you.

sam said...

Hi Jane,

Keep up the good work.....maybe that article will make your pupil think twice about taking that flight to Egypt. On a different note----what made you run away from Korea? (I haven't read Prisoner of wonderland yet)

annie said...

The coffin was gone when I got home, and there was a stack of pine branches on the snow by the door, which i thought was a bit odd until I read your post. What's the significance of the pine branches?

I'll take Jack over Maynard any day. I agree with you about maynard's voice, in a sense, but tool and APC don't really do it for me the way the white stripes do. Definite agreement on the hotness factor of the curly haired black hat dude ;-)

I really hope my student reads the info I gave her and takes it to heart... I guess we shall see.

Why did I run away from Korea? Well, that's a long story.... Seriously, you've gotta read about it. The last time I tried to simply tell that story it became book-length :-)

Natalia said...

Oh my God, Jane, I've no idea who you are, I just popped in after a reader left a note in the comments section of my occasionally human traffic-conscious blog.

It's wonderful that you would go to the trouble of contacting Angel about all of this. This girl, Marina, cannot, should not, get on that flight before she has some solid proof that the job she's taking is legitimate. Young Eastern European girls just cannot hop planes to Egypt with promise of jobs! This is serious.

If you see her again, tell her that Natalia from Ukraine, who has ties to La Strada, an anti-trafficking NGO, in Kiev, tells her, NE DELAI ETOGO!

I know life in Vladimir isn't exactly loaded with excitement and financial opportunity for young girls (Is it? I've been through around there in 2001), but she shouldn't automatically trust men who approach her in clubs and offer her weird, sexually-charged jobs in Egypt.

Tell her that if she is forced to do anything against her will, it's very likely that the Egyptian police might even treat her like crap, should she ever get to them. Tell her she needs to be very careful. Do her research. Tell her that many lives have already been lost.

Ooof. I hate to jump in here and start freaking out, but this doesn't sound good. At all.

Anonymous said...

Having been to Egypt numerous times I can definitely tell you that there are in fact no jobs for eastern European Women. This is because the Egyptian economy suffers from 20to 30% unemployment, they do no import labour.

Eastern European women who travel to Egypt are forced one way or the other into the sex trade.

With Egypt, there are no jobs open except ones involved in the sex trade.

You should stop her from going

Jordanian

annie said...

Natalia and Jordanian -

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you; I do not want her to go, and I am terrified for her. I will only be meeting with her a handful of times (i think only 3 or 4 more), and she barely knows me. I will continue to give her information; I hope that the info I gave her from the Angel Coalition can sway her...

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Jane! At the end you may not convince this woman from going to Egypt. Just in case, she should have some emergency contact info she can use once she needs help in Egypt. I don't know whether the Angel Coalition provides such information.