Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sunny, slushy and kind of warm

For the past two days, it has been warm here. Of course, my current definition of "warm" totally spits in the face of my Floridian sensibilities. By "warm" I mean above zero C... in the plus one to plus three range. Seriously, after being below freezing for the past four and a half months or so, plus one feels fantastic. I was finally able to bust out the fabulous lime green coat that I bought here last October, and it's been great to be outside. Of course, there are some drawbacks. There are mountains of snow all over the place, some of which are as tall as I am, and at least as deep as they are tall. These snowy mountains have slowly begun to melt, filling the walkways of Vladimir with muddy slush. (I'm sure those of you from snowy climates are wondering why the hell I'm commenting on this, but I grew up in Florida, dammit. I'm allowed.) Anyhow, there are vast puddles, lakes, rivulets and full-on rivers of this slush everywhere I go, and they're likely to be around for a while. Today (thus far, anyway) has been slightly colder than yesterday, being zero degrees in the shade, and plus one in the sunshine. This means that in the sunny spots, one has to dodge mud-puddles, while in the shady places, one must avoid slipping on the fresh layers of ice created by the re-freezing of yesterday's slush. Hooray for spring!

4 comments:

annie said...

i really enjoyed your stories! thanks for the link - and keep writing. teaching overseas is a lot of fun.... after i leave Russia, i'm going back to korea for another try at the hogwan system :-)

Unknown said...

Welcome to "Mud Season" Florida girl.

Soon it will be Green Winter in Russia - I hear it is much nicer than the White Winter! ;-)

Unknown said...

By the way, that new coat isn't just green.

It is GRRR EEEEEEEEEEEEE NNN!! That is Chernobyl Skittles factory green.

annie said...

you know, there is something called "uranium glass" that is a tad radioactive.... and it totally glows like my coat! CHECK IT OUT!!