Monday, March 20, 2006

The past few days...

Saturday we held a poker tournament at the AH. For me, this was incredibly boring. I have never been one for playing card games, I don't enjoy them and I'm not good at them. And I never understood this televised poker craze thing... who the hell wants to watch other people play cards? Yawn! But, we all had to be there, so I went, although I mostly assisted by staying out of the way. After poker, we showed Batman Begins (the AH shows English language movies on Saturdays). I hadn't intended to watch it... Saturday was such an incredibly beautiful day, and I didn't want to waste it in the basement watching a movie I'd already seen... but I couldn't help myself. I'd kind of forgotten how absolutely brilliant that film is. Just like when I saw it in the theater, I sat on the edge of my seat, grinning like an idiot throughout the whole thing. After the movie, six of us headed for Shesh-Besh. We really have become regulars there, to the point that the staff knows us. If any of you ever come to Vladimir as tourists, your guide will probably try to get you to eat at Traktir. Traktir isn't bad, but compared to Shesh-Besh, the food there's mundane at best. And when you go to Shesh-besh, you can't forget to buy a pitcher (koovsheen) of their semi-sweet red wine, as it is the best wine you will ever taste. For various reasons, only three of us were drinking from the pitcher, which may or may not have led to three people, arms linked, staggering along Bolshaya Moscovskaya singing about how our milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard. Sigh.

Sunday morning, B, Y and I went to Dobryak (Vladimir's very large, warehouse-like shopping center) for the purpose of finding spring coats for Y and B. Y came away with a hot orange coat (I tried to have Brooke take a picture of the two of us in our spring coats: Apelsinchik and Apple-Green-chik as we like to say.... but unfortunately my camera was set on video not photo, and I didn't notice until, well, this morning. Whoops.) I bought an absolutely absurd shirt, that kind of makes me look like a Renaissance Elf. So obviously, I love it, even though I will be laughed at every time I wear it.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Renaissance Elf

After leaving Dobryak, I met up with L at the AH for belly dancing lessons. L's been teaching me, B and Y basic belly dancing moves for some time now, in preparation for entering us into a Russian belly dancing class. Yesterday I was the only one dancing with L. (Or trying to dance and making an ass of myself!) But it was fun, and today I ache all over in places where I've never ached before, so it was definitely a work-out. After dancing, we went over to the univermag, and L helped me pick out a scarf covered in coins to wear during belly dancing. Of course, I went home and wore the damn thing around for about an hour, jingling all the way.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Jingly-Jangly


In other news, we had a weird, sudden snowstorm this morning. It went from being sunny to blizzardy in about three minutes. Now it's merely overcast. So much for the wonderful weather we've been having!

Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket
Before and after. I miss the blue sky already.

6 comments:

Matt Mason said...

I'm glad your blog is back up and accessible. Mine had the same problems for a while.

I enjoyed Batman Begins as well, but am really enjoying your jingly-jangly belly-dancing scarf.

Spring is on the way.....

sam said...

Hi Jane,

I came across your blah blah while looking for places to visit in Russia. That is one thing that I want to do sometime. I am from India......and guess wat??...i work in in the S/W industry.....I really envy you for having such a good time in Vladimir......keep posting more details about your life there. And good luck with your belly dancing....hehe.

Anonymous said...

dude, the scarf looks awesome on you:>

(wear it to work sometime? heheheh)

L.

Anonymous said...

Apfelsinchick?we called this cellulite...greetings,michael

annie said...

cellulite? micha, do you want me to come to germany and beat your ass? :-) youngmee and i laughed and laughed.

Matt Mason said...

Not a half-gram of cellulite.