Saturday, March 04, 2006

Palaces of the People

Since I've recently spent a good bit of time in Moscow, I thought I should post something about my absolute favorite part of the city: the metro system. I love the Moscow Metro. The stations are beautiful, and the system is highly efficient. In a country where so many things are often neither beautiful nor efficient, the existance of said metro is even more amazing. Ever since I first saw the Moscow Metro in 1999, I have wanted to photograph all of the stations, but even though I have tried to work up the nerve, it's never really happened successfully. I never want to look like a tourist in the midst of public mass transit. Plus, locals don't really take too kindly to me whipping out my camera. So I've never done it. I did, however, buy a packet of postcards featuring shots of the insides of various stations, and I thought I'd share.

Let me reiterate: I DID NOT TAKE THESE PHOTOS!!! Unfortunately, the author of each specific picture is not identified. The packaging that held the postcards does contain the following names of photographers: N. Rakhmanov, V. Solomatin, V. Khmelevskii, and Ivan Fedorov.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Ploshchad Revolutsii, 1938


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Komsomolskaya, 1952


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Arbatskaya, 1953


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Mayakovskaya, 1938


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Taganskaya, 1950


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Aviamotornaya, 1979


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Kievskaya (Koltsevaya), 1954


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Park Pobedy, 2003


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Novoslobodskaya, 1952


Image hosting by Photobucket
Metro Station Kievskaya, 1953

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Moscow Metro is definitely very cool .. and something that could NEVER be built in the US. Can you imagine the cries of "pork-barrel"?

I was never shy about whipping out my camera to make pictures in the Metro. However, it was often difficult just because of the river of moving bodies, flowing around corners, down stairs, up escalators, through doors - better to do it in off hours, if you can.

I had recently found and posted this website, sort of a virtual tour of the Metro - might be worth a look for those curious individuals.

http://metrowalks.ru/moscow

If someone can't speak Russian, you can still easily browse this website by first going to http://webtranslation.paralink.com/ and pasting the address in the window. Put the settings for "direction" to Russian-English.

Anonymous said...

Pyongyang, North Korea has subway stations that look quite similar to Moscow's.

Not that I've been to Pyongyang; nope, afraid i'm not that cool. Just have seen photos of the subway sytem.

You've been to Daegu? Why oh why did you go to Daegu? To teach ESL?

annie said...

i *wish* something like that could be built in the US... but you're right, it would never happen. i'll check out the link though. i love pics of the metro.

heh heh - yep, taught English in Daegu... and oddly enough, going back to do it again this august.

i *have* been to north korea.... by which i mean i've stepped across the border in one of the negotiation rooms in Panmunjom. i didn't know NK had cool subways although that wouldn't surprise me. daegu's subways were boring but unbelievably clean.