Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Of Koshki and Jimmy Eat World

Today in two of my classes we listened to Jimmy Eat World’s Praise Chorus. I was teaching "going to" and that song is full of "gonna" this and "gonna" that. No, don't worry; I did not teach them that "gonna" was proper speech. I told them that it was slang for "going to" and that if they ever listen to Americans talking, they'll hear "gonna" a lot. (Likewise I explained "gotta" "wanna" and "whatcha.") And I got to show them my remarkably dorky pictures from the time I met Jimmy Eat World. It was in the spring of 1999, shortly before the release of their first major label record. I was in college, and I helped out at WUTS, the campus radio station. WUTS got Jimmy Eat World to come and play at our small music festival (WUTSfest), right before they became "famous" and out of the WUTS price range. They stayed in my house (home to several WUTS staffers) after the show, and we all had a really great time. At some point during the evening, we managed to convince the bass player to put one of the Koshki on his head. I wrote about the Koshki a while back, in particular the one my friend lost on the train to St. Petersburg in the summer of 1999. I showed my pictures to the class with Ludmila, the girl I hypothesized might be the Keeper of the Koshka. While she (like the other students) found the picture amusing, she did not make any comment about the Koshka. Now, if you had some random contact with a group of strange Americans with Koshki (which for some reason they liked to place on their heads...), and one of them gave you said Koshka, wouldn't you comment on this upon seeing the photo? Well she didn't. I'm guessing she's not THAT Ludmila after all.

No comments: