Sunday, October 30, 2005

One may smile, and smile, and be a villain

Despite the fact that I may be feeling very much like casting a Certain Someone in a villainous light, the title of this post actually refers to me. No, I do not consider myself to be a villain, but this phrase popped into my head yesterday and simply wouldn't leave my head. Forget that nonsense about how everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten. Everything you need to know came from Hamlet, for Shakespeare was a wise man. Yesterday was our Halloween party. Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday of the year (with the only exception being those times when my friends and I have gotten together and celebrated the Solstices in our own, weird way), and I have been looking forward to the AH's annual Halloween Party since the moment I was accepted into this program. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling quite so up to snuff lately. No, it isn't something that I care to air to the masses in the form of a blog post, so let's just say that I haven't been particularly happy. It's as though the ability for me to feel joy has somehow been taken from me in the space of about fifteen seconds. I'm no longer crying, in fact, I'm smiling. I'm doing things that I know in my mind are fun, but in my soul there is nothing. I guess this is a weird post. See, our Halloween party was quite a success. We had costumes and decorations and an absolutely wicked haunted house, which engendered many legitimate screams from our students. I should be glowingly pleased. The pictures from the party are pretty cool. Our costumes were great, and I brought out my fantabulously cool space-alien costume, in which I know I look damn good. But I kept thinking about Hamlet. One may smile and smile and be unhappy. I look at the photos and I can see it in my eyes. The pictures are cool though.

No comments: