Sunday, May 14, 2006

Since I’ve been back...

It’s always hard to adjust to life after a vacation... and when the vacation in question is one as insanely memorable as our trip to Siberia, readjustment is even tougher. Nonetheless, I’ve been home for a week and I have managed to settle back into life here in Vladimir.

Classes started on Wednesday, May 10th. I’m teaching two classes, both third-level, on Mon-Wed-Fri. Each class lasts two hours and fifteen minutes, which is a LONG time to spend teaching lower level grammar, let me tell you! But, I suppose this *is* the intensive summer semester after all. I think we’re all struggling a little with planning such marathon lessons, but we’re getting there.

On Saturday some of the AH students (namely Constantine and Igor, the same fellows who took us out on our very first
party in the nature back in October) invited all of the teachers out for a “party in the nature” as they call it. I have to admit that the phrase “party in the nature” no longer sounds strange to me (have I been here too long?) and I found myself trying to remember what I would have called such an event this time last year. A picnic in the woods, perhaps?

Anyhow, we drove about 30 or so minutes south of Vladimir and out into a wooded patch between a creek and some farmland. The weather was perfect, the scenery was gorgeous and we had a fantastic time. Pictures speak louder than words, so here you go:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The scenery was gorgeous.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There were lots of little spring-fed creeks.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And the birch trees were all topped with bright green.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Constantine and I, shooting BB guns

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joanna is a much better shot than I am.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joanna spent a lot of time with Constantine's guns.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
At one point, they were skeet shooting with cans of tonic...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is my favorite shot.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I took it from here, actually.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This old man spent the day fishing.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Immortal Elf Princess


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
B, Y and me: Girlies with beer


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hike!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Constantine kills dinner.
(Don't worry, that's actually just sauce)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our group.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
J caught a lizard.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
B, Frisbee Princess


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Y, Frisbee Lady-in-Waiting
(you know, it goes with the Princess thing...)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We got a little sunburnt...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The sunset was spectacular.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Another view.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sunset, reflecting off trees.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Reflections in the lake at dusk.


On Sunday, Y and I met up with L at Dobryak, as Y needed to buy a belt. After buying the belt, the three of us went to Cafe Olymp, a little Azerbaijani cafe tucked away in the back of Dobryak, where we dined on hingali (a yummy dish of beef, garlic and sour cream on homemade pasta-like dough) and baklava. That place is awesome - if you’re ever in the area, be sure to give it a try!


This morning I went back to Dobryak for the purpose of trying on a really nice business suit which I had seen on Sunday. Now, I don't really plan on being in a position where I *need* a business suit (of course, I will most certainly teach in it because it ROCKS), but it cost roughly $80, which is a lot of money for me... but for a good quality, five piece woman's business suit, that's not bad. Plus, let's just say they don't make clothes like this in the States. Imagine a black business suit with red pinstripes. (It came with both a skirt and with pants) Imagine a red, button-up, collared business shirt. Now imagine a black vest with red pinstripes that goes over the red shirt and under the jacket. Normal, right? Now, change the vest into a corset. Welcome to business attire in Russia, ladies and gentlemen. This thing is AWESOME. And, in case I'm ever working in some conservative work environment, it does look like a normal suit when you don't add the corset. Not that I'm ever planning on doing that again. Tee hee.

No comments: