Monday, May 08, 2006

We're Back!

The trip to Siberia was amazing and utterly insane. It turned out to be essentially three separate (and vastly different) vacations in one: Three days on the Trans-Siberian, four days on Olkhon Island on Baikal, and three days in Irkutsk. Right now I am exhausted and desperately in need of a shower, so you won't be getting any details today. And as I have to plan a lesson or two (classes start Wednesday!), I'm not sure when exactly said details will go online. I'll probably post them in three different segments, beginning in a day or two... so stay tuned!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear all about it!
~Brooke

sam said...

Hi Jane,

I am so looking forward to hearing about the trip.....and please post tons of pics :-))

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool, Jane! Am very envious. I'll have to try out that kind of trip at some point. Right now, I'm satisfied with sitting in Krasnodar. Poka!

-- twicker

Tom J. Kiehn said...

Wow, sounds like an amazing journey! I've long wanted to do the Trans-Siberian by train, but time constraints and travel companions forced me to go to Siberia by plane instead in 2003. I flew to Irkutsk, spent two days there, and then spent a week on Olkhon in a yurta camp with Buryat folks. After that I went to Ulan-Udei for 2 days and then back to Irkutsk.

Just out of curiosity, how much does a Moscow-Irkutsk train ticket cost these days?

annie said...

I wish i could spend a week on Olkhon - I hope I'll get the chance to at some point.

Our train ticket ran about $95.