Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bogolyubovo

So I finally went to Bogolyubovo yesterday. Bogolyubovo is a small (but ancient) town located just to the east of Vladimir. I've wanted to go ever since my arrival in Russia... I even knew what bus I needed to take, but I was worried that I'd get there and I wouldn't be able to figure out where to go and would therefore end up missing stuff. Well, I needn't have worried, and now I feel kind of silly that I put off going until shortly before my departure. But, at least I have now been. For anyone who might be interested in visiting Bogolyubovo: From the center of Vladimir, take Bus #152 east until you see a very large cathedral on the side of the road. Seriously, you can't miss it. Once you're in Bogolyubov, you'll want to see the Bogolyuvsky Monastyr and the Church of the Intercesion on the Nerl. Bogolyuvsky Monastyr is the complex located right next to the road. The other church is off in the distance. You can see it and follow the paths (and tourists) or simply ask someone. Like I said, I feel silly for having put this off for so long, as the place was easy to navigate.

Thus, yesterday afternoon (following belly dancing, of course!) Brooke, Youngmee, Asya and I set off for Bogolyubovo. The town of Bogolyubovo was originally founded as a fortress in the 12th century by
Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky ("Bogolyubsky" means "loved by god"). He was murdered there in 1174, after which his fortress was sacked and destroyed. Our first stop was the Bogolyubsky Monastyr, built in the 13th century on the grounds of Bogolyubsky's former fortress. As a tip for visitors to the monastary: While anyone may enter the grounds, if you are a woman and are interested in entering the churches, you need to have something to cover your head (and shoulders if wearing a tank-top), and you need to be wearing either a skirt of a dress. We, being frightfully unequipped, only explored the grounds.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The booming metropolis of Bogolyubovo. (Er...)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Obviously this archway leading into the monastery is hardly historical,
but I really loved the colors.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Domes of the Bogolybsky Cathedral


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Church of the Annunciation


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A full shot of the Church of the Annunciation.
The discolored part to the lower left is all that remains
from the time of Prince Bogolyubsky.
It is in there where he was killed.


We walked behind the monastery on our way to the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl. Quite a scenic route - great for photography. Of course, I was pretty much overwhelmed by the pookh. Pookh (fluff) comes from cottonwood trees, and is all over the place these days. I know there are places in the US where cottonwood trees grow - but they certainly don't grow in the south. Thus the fact that it seems to be snowing pookh at times is fascinating to me. (Although my sinuses are less fascinated and more pissed off, I must admit.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A view of the monastery from the rear.
If you
click here to see the large view,
you can see all of the pookh in the air!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Pookh in its natural habitat
(before it detaches and makes for my sinuses)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There is somewhat of a marshy lake behind the monastery.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I loved this house.
If I paint my house this color, will people think I'm crazy?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I liked this house too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I also thought that this dilapidated old Russian car
was quite picturesque.


We crossed the railroad tracks and walked across a vast field (this will bring you past women selling very nice shawls if you're interested in that sort of thing - I got myself a pink one - or if you're lacking something to cover your head). The field was filled with flowers and bumblebees (I didn't get any good macro shots, unfortunately) and the fresh aroma of flowers. When we approached the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl, we sat in the grass and had a small picnic of grapes and apricots. Yum.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Asya, B, Y

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was the view to the north of our picnic spot.
(That's the Bogolyubsky Monastyr, if you can't tell)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And this was our view to the south:
The Church of the Intercession on the Nerl

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Church of the Intercession on the Nerl is quite picturesque
(although if you go when it's warm, there may be plenty
of Russian dudes in Speedos.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
If you come in the spring after the snow melts
you can get the full reflection of the church in the water.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Up-close corner shot.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The reliefs on the walls were pretty incredible.

2 comments:

sam said...

Hi Jane,

You should paint your house lime green, the color of the coat that you have.....and don't worry about what people might say....we already know you are crazy :-))

vyckarats said...

In one blog i saw this church in winter, in this in summer, and i decided to have tour in Bogolyubovo, amazing human work!