Saturday, January 14, 2006

Computers, classes, and such

For anyone who might be interested in the status of my baby Compaq: the computer-fixing-fellow says that my AC/DC adapter has burnt out. He also says that this is probably a result of overuse of the power transformer (you know, converting 220v to 110v) but what else am I supposed to do? The power has to be converted! Am I going to have to replace the damn thing every six months? Anybody have any suggestions? Supposedly the computer fellow is in Moscow, even as I type, looking for a replacement part for me. I fervently hope that he is successful, as I am going through mad laptop withdrawal. I also hope that nothing else is wrong with the computer... I guess we shall see.


But moving on... Yesterday was my first day of class. Thursday was the first day for everyone but me (owing to the last minute loss of my VEMZ class). I will definitely be teaching an advanced conversation group every Wednesday, but there's been no word as to whether or not I'll be picking up another 90 minutes worth of class time some where to keep me in the full-time-salary-position. Of course, it was quite nice on Thursday, having absolutely no responsibilities. Anyhow, yesterday I had three ZII (second level) classes in a row. The first class (most likely hooligans-to-be) was deathly quiet. They're all new to the AH, and didn't know one another. My previous hooligan class was like that too on the first day. In fact, they didn't erupt into hooliganism until class three or four... This group definitely has potential for utter madness. I also got to see my hooligans from last semester (they're G's now), and they were all happy to see me. I hope I can form as good of a bond with my new students as I had with my old. My second class of the day was my most advanced. They were all in their 20s-30s, and seemed studious but fun. My third class was similar in composition to my second, although not as strong. It's hard to form an opinion of their capabilities after only 90 minutes in their company.

It was good to be back teaching again. Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy sitting around being a bum (have I mentioned that my life-goal is to become a professional hermit?), but teaching is actually fun. It's good to have a job I enjoy (yes... this is a hint, hint to those of you - you know who you are - in jobs you hate...)

No comments: