Friday, April 07, 2006

Photos from yesterday

I walked home yesterday after work. I've walked home the past couple of days, and it's been nice to be able to do so after a long winter of taking the bus everywhere. I decided to take some pictures... although I was in a bit of an odd mood, so I got some rather odd shots. Enjoy!
Image hosting by Photobucket
When the snow melts, all the trash that was tossed on the ground and then covered by falling snow is revealed. It's kind of disgusting. And don't even get me started on the five month old, recently uncovered and thawed dog doo.


Image hosting by Photobucket
I thought the mailbox/phonebooth combination was worth photographing.

Image hosting by Photobucket
I also liked the Golden Gates/phonebooth combination.
You could almost call it a combination of the ancient and the modern,
but I'm still trying to find the modernity...

Image hosting by Photobucket
Yes, I took a picture of the trashcan.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Windows along Dvoryanskaya Ulitsa: Fortichkas open!
(A fortichka is that little mini-window within the big window)

Image hosting by Photobucket
I'd never noticed these wooden gnomes before, so I don't know if they're new, if if I'm simply unobservant. They line the path through the small park in front of Baskin Robbins. (Yes, we have a Baskin Robbins here in Vladimir. No, I've never been there. Thus far, it's the only American food-chain to invade the city of Vladimir.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Another wood-gnome.

Image hosting by Photobucket
I took a back street that parallels Prospekt Lenina to the north, and came across this old factory. The windows are all busted out and the doors are all boarded up. You know that if this were any country but Russia I would have found a way inside.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time Baskin-Robbins was seen or mentioned by Russian friends of mine, they would get a littl excited and ask "Did you know they have 32 flavors?!?"

Umm. Yep. I did.

I would say that is actually a popular chain in Russia. I can get behind Baskin-Robbins, everybody loves ice cream.

Thankfully McDonalds hasn't landed in your city yet.

By the way, it is my understanding that older slavic peasant culture actually did a fair amount of totem carving. I think some of the small villages still do figures and totems.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pics! Please I hate the thought of the 5 month old.

May I suggest another place to host them so that when I click on them I dont have to sign up for another photo hosting place? Flickr lets visitors see the pics.

i almost forgot about them goofy trashcans...never saw the gnomes! but then i was only ever there in the dead of winter...

annie said...

well, i do have a flickr account (mainly so i could get one of those cool little flash-badge-thingies for the side of my blog) but i don't like the way flickr is set up for blogging, or the fact that it limits your monthly megabytes of uploadables.

if it makes you feel any better, i actually resize the pics before i upload them to photobucket (our ISP charges per amount of data transferred per month, so we try to keep file sizes small), so you're seeing the pics exactly as they appear in photobucket...