Monday, April 24, 2006

A visit to a Russian Dentist

For a while now, I've been having slight pain in one of my teeth on the lower right-hand side of my mouth, but only when I eat something really sweet. Of course, as really sweet treats are a staple of my diet here (those of you who saw me over the Christmas holidays should remember the plentiful bounty of dark chocolate I brought home with me!), this means that several times a day I think "Ow! Cavity!" Anyway, a while back B went to the dentist and had a $25 root canal, at which point I figured it would be foolish of me not to have this taken care of here. Anyway, the dentist (who is a friend of Galya's) was very nice, and the facility was very modern and not scary in the least. (My last dental experience was in San Diego and it was terrifying, and I truly thought I'd never see a dentist again after that!) Anyhow, it turns out that I don't have any cavities, although the enamel is worn down on my right side, making my teeth sensitive. So, she coated my teeth with some sort of enamel, and I'm supposed to go back in two weeks for a check up. It was an altogether pleasant experience, which cost me roughly $4.

10 comments:

annie said...

yeah, who needs dental insurance? seriously, if i'm ever in the states and need dental work, i'm just taking a vacation to Russia or Costa Rica and getting cheap dental work to boot.

Unknown said...

I can always refer you to Katja's father, Sergei Andreyeva ... he is a dentist in Rostov Veliky.

Might start a new trend ... Dental Tourism. Much healthier than the sex tourist trade in Russia.

Unknown said...

the only time i cried in russia was at the russian dentist who had some ultrasonic tooth cleaner. i was in no mood for novel tooth cleaning methods.

i didn't even cry when they did my woman checkup with the nasty torture device sized for viking women, not petite asexuals like myself. though the russian woman who assisted did follow me around all day petting my should expressing her sorrow...how wierd.

international dentistry is honestly one of only 7 areas where living in america is superior.

annie said...

ohmygod - i HATE those things. the last time i went to the dentist (before this recent trip) was the worst dental experience of my life. it was in san diego, and the guy used one of those ultrasonic pick things, and my entire mouth was bleeding at the end. i was so sick i couldn't go back to work that day. plus the dentist told me that the reason my gums were bleeding profusely wasn't because he butchered them with his ultrasonic pick thing, but because i'm on birth control! well, i've been on birth control since i was 19 and that was the first time i'd ever had my gums ripped open by a teeth-cleaning. he also tried to pressure me into buying an $80 toothbrush and a god-knows-how-expensive teeth-whitening procedure. it was horrific. my russia (and my previous costa rica) dental experience was a joy in comparison.

prodds said...

No matter the dentist I am visiting, still I am very afraid to go, although I know how necessary it is for my health.

sleepdentist said...

A visit to the dentist used to freak me out. But now there are the so-called "sleep dentists'", who with the advent of medical and technological breakthroughs, they now have many different ways to help even the most nervous dental patient calm down, relax, and most importantly have a pain-free experience while receiving the care and attention their teeth need.

Unknown said...

Your article was quite intriguing and the information quite useful. Will check your site often to see other great posts you make! Regards
Lawrenceville dentist

Unknown said...

Drum Beat Machine for Beat Makers, Make your own beats. The Best Beat Making Software program, download to make your own original hip hop beats. Beat Machine

Elizabeth Cull said...

Oftentimes, we've gotten scared visiting a dentist because we really can't stand the pain of our teeth being pulled out or being cleaned. But we must keep in mind that it is highly recommended that we must seek a dentist (Libertyville, IL) regularly to prevent oral cavities and tooth decay and to have a good oral hygiene. Libertyville dental group is great when it comes to providing excellent dental care to its clients. Actually, that's where I go to regularly for dental check-up.

louisville boutique hotel said...

great concept. You're the best, beautiful site with great informational content. This is a really interesting and informative post. Great! Thanks Very much!