Friday, April 07, 2006

Something to make you cats jealous. Maybe.

Four of us are planning a trip to Olkhon Island in Lake Baikal in Siberia for our break between the Spring and Summer semesters. It may or may not work out, as the time when we're able to go is the most difficult time of year to reach the island (the ice between shore and island is melting then, and therefore the ice-road is impassable, but the ice won't have melted enough for the ferry, leaving us with the options of sketchy small boats or walking on the ice...) but I hope we make it there, because check this place out!

3 comments:

sam said...

Hi Jane,

I sincerely hope that you make it there and usual post some amazing pics....that place looks SUPER......That is one word i like to pronounce the French way.....and that is what came to my mind when I checked out the pics of Olkhon Island, someone who knows French will know what i am talking about ;-) …….wish i could go someplace like that this summer.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jane,

I went there in June 2003. It is one of the most amazing places I've ever been. And even with not seeing the sun due to forest fires. If you can afford it, try to hire a driver and 4x4 to see the north end of the island. Look for sponges on the shore. Only place in the world with fresh water sponges. They're small about, the size of your pinky or smaller. And of course the Olma (sp?) fish is great.

-anna-

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Olkhon! I went around March or April of 2004, and it was pretty much devoid of tourists and covered with snow, which made me very happy. A piece of advice: stay in the town hotel. There are homestay services and a really neat, Western-oriented hostel (the name of which escapes me right now), but I loved the town hotel because it was simple, cheap, and full of cool Russians working in the area. (Many of which took me for rides around the island for free, told me stories about their work as geologists, M. of the Environment officials, etc. The manager was really kind, too.) The place also had an awesome banya.

-Brooke