Friday, February 17, 2006

Feminism in Vladimir, Russia. Sort of.

In my conversation class, I'd been thinking that I wanted to give my students things that would not only stimulate discussion, but that would give them glimpses into American life, thus letting them learn about American culture while practicing their speaking skills. Wednesday was my fourth conversation class, with the prior three using myspace.com, song lyrics, and an article about my mom as topics. Last week, when trying to decide what to give them to prepare for this week's class, I decided that I would like to give them a post from someone's blog, something written by a normal American, not a journalist or a famous writer. I tried to think about things that have appeared on friends' blogs that were both interesting and that would stimulate discussion (I really wanted to give them something from a medical examiner friend's blog, but I figured the corpses might gross them out. Besides, one student had specifically requested that we not discuss violent crimes.) I may still use some of you bloggers in my blogroll as yet... but as it was, I decided on a post from a now-defunct blog written by a childhood friend of mine using the pseudonym Maggie Grace. (She started this blog long before the TV show LOST appeared on the scene and rocketed actress Maggie Grace to stardom, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the actress of that name.) I chose the post that I chose because it was well-written, contained a lot of idioms that I knew would be new to my students, and because I hoped it would be a good topic to stimulate discussion. I could summarize the post for you, but I think it would be best for you to read it for yourself before reading the rest of my post. So CLICK HERE and read it.

Okay - read it? Good. So yes, I wanted to discuss feminism with my class. Despite the utter crazies who think that the sole reason I came to Russia was to subvert this nation's women into FemiNazi Bitches, I had no desire whatsoever to preach my views. I was simply curious as to what my students thought about the topic. So what *are* my views on feminism? Well, I tend to ascribe to the dictionary definition of the word: the belief in the social, political and economic equality of men and women. I am well aware that there are some total whack-jobs out there who have identified themselves as feminists and who have then gone on to say some pretty psychotic stuff, but I am not one of those women. I used to blog about the issue of feminism a lot, and to debate the issue with anti-feminists until I got sick of it. It was like beating my head against a wall. Or arguing with a wall, trying to convince it to change its color. No matter how strong an argument you put forward, the wall isn't going to repaint itself. Anyway, one of the claims made by the anti-feminists was that American women en masse were essentially horrific, and possessed of a long list of ill qualities - all of which were a result of the fact that all American women were FemiNazi Bitches. Meanwhile, American men could do no wrong, and were in need of non-feminist women to love them... and such women could be found in places like Russia. I was curious as to what Russian women would think about this issue. Would their beliefs about feminism truly be so substantially different from mine? As my conversation class consists of ten women and two men (one of whom was absent Wednesday, leaving the other one feeling awkwardly outnumbered), and I looked forward to hearing their views.

After explaining the various idioms and expressions from Maggie's post ("hemmed and hawed" "good ole boys" “schmooze" etc) I asked them to talk about the first half of Maggie's story. (What? You didn't read it? Silly you. Here's your second chance.) First, let me say that while I do believe that situations like this do happen in the US, I know that we've come a long way in the past 40 years, and such situations are becoming rare. Conversely, the majority of my students said that they believe that situations such as this are very common in Russia. One woman did say that she thought it was rare, and another one said she didn't think there was anything *wrong* with such situations. (!) Discussion pretty much just spouted out of everyone about this, and I just sat back and listened.

All but one of the women in the class said that they thought women should have equal chances, equal opportunities in their studies and in their workplaces, and agreed that Russia has a long way to go before reaching this goal, although some thought the situation was worse/better than others.

Two women told of teachers discriminating in favor of male students in both their school and university experiences, although others insisted that this wasn't true, and that women were better students than men. (!)

The one woman who thought that there was nothing wrong with the decision of Maggie's boss said that while she thought that a woman could run a small business, women were simply not capable of managing large firms/companies/factories and that those jobs should therefore be reserved for men.

My one male student said that there were certain positions that were better suited for women to hold than for men, like the position of Advertising Manager. Um, why Advertising Manager? Well, because when you want to get a company to advertise your product, and you send a woman over to talk to the boss of the company, *he* will agree, because a man doesn't like to say no to a pretty woman. You're kidding me right? Oh wait, no. He wasn't. I asked if he though Advertising Managers could only be *pretty* women, but he declined to answer.

I asked my students what they would have done, had they been in Maggie's position. About half said that they would immediately begin looking for another job. The other half said that they would stay where they were and work twice as hard as before, so that the boss would realize that he *had* to give her the promotion.

I asked the male student to think about it in reverse: he and a less-qualified woman applied for the same job. She was hired and he was told that he didn't get the job because he was a man. What would he do? He didn't answer the question directly. Instead, he said that if the woman got the job, it was because she slept with the boss. Grrr.

In general, nearly all of my students agreed with Maggie's point of view about both the work situation and the Sears-power-tool situation. They also seemed to agree with *my* view of feminism (both sexes receiving equal opportunities), although when I finally brought the word "feminism" into the discussion, well...

None of my students consider themselves Feminists. They seem to think that all feminists are cold, hard and unfeminine, with no desire to have men in their lives in any aspect. A lot of them said that a "woman must be woman" (direct quote) which, according to them, meant being weaker, being taken care of, having things paid for by men, having doors opened by men, and being able to cry. Several of them agreed that being able to cry was a great asset for a woman at work, saying that if a man makes a mistake on the job, he will get fired; however, if a woman makes a mistake, she can cry. Then the boss will feel sorry for her and she won't lose her job. (!) Conversely, they all agreed that men should always be strong, never cry, never cook, always pay and always open doors. I was really shocked by this turn of the discussion. I mean, while I'm not going to be offended in the least if someone opens the door for me, I don't demand it. I'm a firm believer in splitting costs 50/50, I've known guys who cook far better than I do, and I have definitely known guys who have cried in front of me - and yes, I still respect them. But like I said, I wasn't there to preach, I was there to listen to their opinions and to let them have a conversation. They had a fantastic conversation, so my original goal of getting them to talk was met. And I learned a lot about the minds of the women of Vladimir, which was definitely interesting.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I could have told you their response. But I think you guessed at it yourself ... you are familiar enough with Russia and Russian culture.

I mean, I am one of those American men who can do no wrong (ha ha ha), who has a Russian girlfriend, yada yada yada. And I find MYSELF talking pro-feminism with Russian women who ... really only half want to hear it. Maybe less half want to hear it.

Here's a story for you: When I was in Russian in September, Katja and I went to Rybinsk to meet her dear friend and group-mate Anja. Anja was very sharp, spoke excellent english, had a clever tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. She talked about how she worked at a local jet engine factory, that they did lots of work with foreign companies, that she coordinated all travel and such for these people, and even though she was young, she had a great deal of responsibility at her work and lots of people respected her. She seemed very competent and proud of her work.

Fast forward to New Years, when I came again to see Katja. We meet Anja this time in Moscow, as her boyfriend splits his time between Moscow and Rybinsk (he works for the same jet engine company as Anja). He isn't feeling well, but Anja, Katja and I go to Korchma to try Ukrainian food. Anja starts talking in very romantic sort of language ... how all she feels herself weak, and all she really wants is to have a strong man over her(!), so she can provide a good home for him, blabbedy blabbedy blab. I thought she was joking, it was so much the opposite of her prior words. So I make a few little comments, teasing ... thinking that she wasnt serious.

She was really very insulted by my teasing! She was dead serious! (picking jaw up off the floor) To be honest, even Katja was a bit surprised by what Anja was saying, but I still made a faux pax by thinking she was joking.

Such is the contradiction of the Russian woman. Katja doesn't feel this way exactly, she wants a career and feels it is important - but many Russian women really would like a strong capable man to take care of them.

A desire for a benevolent dictator runs strong in the Russian soul.

annie said...

I think I was mostly surprised by how they all wanted to have their cake and eat it too... they (most of them, anyway) thought what happened to Maggie was horrible, and agreed that they wanted to be treated equally at work and to receive the same opportunities as men... BUT they all wanted to be pampered and taken care of in a special hyper-feminine kind of way. While (if you can't tell) I disagreed with just about everything my male student had to say on the subject, he and I were the only ones who seemed to recognize that there was a hypocrisy in all of this. I suppose over all I am not really surprised by the discussion, as I have known enough Russian women and men to know in general their views, but laying it all out on the table like that was certainly interesting!

Unknown said...

Ya ponimayu. :-)

Yes, I think Russian men prefer not to speak too loudly about the hypocrisy in that point of view.

Consider Russia as a bit like the US in the 1950s - but with a glimpse of what the future might hold in terms of feminism. Many don't see it as a 100% good thing (which is surprising).

I hate to say it, but most of them seem to view a life as a housewife under a "good" man as easier.

Maybe you should have them read "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. There are some good free copies online with other resources. It is a pretty simple short story. http://itech.fgcu.edu/faculty/wohlpart/alra/gilman.htm

I wouldn't think the story would be a difficult reading assignment.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, The Yellow Paper, great story. Thanks for the link, will reread it.

Layla.

Megan Case said...

I've been meaning to write a post about feminism in Russia for awhile, and I can't say everything here in a comment box, but I think it's important not to just apply American feminist ideology everywhere regardless of cultural context. I say this as an American feminist.

In Russia (and many "traditional" cultures) men and women are seen as having different roles, but one role is not worse than the other. In Russia, women are the cornerstone of families. They are usually the ones who manage the family finances. Their roles as mothers are highly respected. In general, most Russian men I know really respect women, though it's often in a different way than we're used to.

I think this was not the case in 1950s America. Women and "women's roles" were seen as inferior, and the feminist movement had to happen the way it did. But the same approach can't be applied wholesale to Russia because the culture is different.

Well, I'll try to write more about this on my blog.

Best,
Megan

annie said...

thanks for the link - i'll check it out when i get a chance. i don't really want to keep harping on this topic in class though, as it's not a feminist discussion group or anything, and i kind of want to move on to other topics.

megan - you're definitely right about the differences culture plays in that culture's development of it's version of feminism. There's an interesting book (kinda) on the topic called How We Survived Communism and Even laughed by Slavenka Drakulic. I wrote about it a little in the now-defunct-non-blogger part of my blog, but as it's still online, you can read it by clicking here and scrolling to january 9th.

Layla - i'm interested in your thoughts on this topic!