Friday, February 10, 2006

We The Living

B has pretty much become my own personal librarian here; she keeps giving me really fantastic things to read, and as such, I have yet another book review for you. This one actually has rather a lot to do with Russia, so I don't feel that little twinge of guilt that I sometimes feel when I write about various nonsense that has nothing to do with Russia whatsoever.


Anyhow, the most recent book-from-B was Ayn Rand's We the Living. I know tons of people hate Ayn Rand... but this book is a lot less about her political/lifestyle beliefs, and a lot more about what went on after the October Revolution, and is a really great read. The book follows the lives and relationships of three individuals and their friends and families in the period shortly following the October Revolution and the end of the Russian civil war. This was an amazing book, a completely beautiful (yet utterly terrible) tale of love, life and individuality, and the struggle of the individual against the Communist State. I often re-read books, but very rarely do I read one all the way through and immediately want to return to the beginning to start again. I finished the book last night, and if I hadn't unabashedly cried my way through the last 100 pages, I would have begun re-reading it last night as well. As it is, I think I need to give my soul a break. But this book is amazing. 

Now, I know that Ayn Rand tends to be one of those polarizing writers whom people tend to either love or hate... well, I haven't read anything by her other than We the Living, so I'm not even going to get into that debate. However, Any Rand said that We the Living "...is as close to an autobiography as I will ever write. The plot is invented but the background is not. The specific events of Kira's life were not mine; her ideas, her convictions, her values, were and are." I found myself utterly in love with the character, Kira, and I identified with her in many ways. This makes me feel like perhaps I should read some more Ayn Rand. If I do, I'll let you know what I think.

3 comments:

Mary said...

It took me awhile to realize that this was Ayn Rand's first fiction book. I read her more famous ones when I was in college. ALtho I enjoyed them when reading them, I never embraced her ideas. This one sounds interesting and I will look for it on my next library trip. And isn't it fun to have a friend to share books with!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read We the Living, but I remember finding Anthem an interesting work. It's really short, but very powerful as well.

-the other Brooke you know

annie said...

brooke - you should *definitely* read we the living, any russophile will LOVE it. and oddly enough, the other brooke was telling me about anthem too....

aunt mary - definitely read it when you get the chance! I definitely feel like I should read more of her works now.