Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A long, odd, tasty day

Today was American Lunch. We have American and Russian lunches every so often, during which each group (American or Russian) cooks a traditional meal from their country for the rest of the group (20+ people). We weren't entirely traditional-American; we cooked fajitas, refried beans, rice, and sopapillas, with sangria to drink. I don't know what you guys normally eat, but when I'm at home I pretty much consume 40% Italian and 40% Mexican, with the rest being filled by Chinese food and whatever the hell "traditional American food" is. Burgers and fries? I dunno. Anyway, we arrived at 10:00am and began cooking the feast, which included fresh, homemade salsa and guacamole, and everything was utterly, orgasmically delicious. I hadn't realized how much I missed Mexican food. So yummy. Yum. Of course, between staying late last night to make sangria, coming in early to cook, and drinking a bunch of wine and sangria and eating a big meal... by the time all was said and done, I was exhausted, and stumbled upstairs and fell onto the couch for what I hoped would be an hour-long nap before my conversation class. 

Well, due to my schedule, Wednesdays are the only days that I can have Office Hours. Last semester, I had very few students come at all. I have had more students this semester so far than I had all last semester. I don't mind, normally, but you all know how happy I am when I am awakened prematurely from a nap. I spent a good couple of pre-conversation-class hours feeling pretty bitter. And sleepy. Hooray for the wonders of Excedrin. I know, I know, you shouldn't take the stuff just to wake up, but sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do to not fall asleep in front of the class. At the end of my last conversation class, I gave my students an article about me and my mom, which appeared in the local paper back in October, for the purpose of leading into a discussion regarding volunteering, why people do it, whether or not people should do it, if any of them volunteer, why/why not, etc. It was actually a very interesting discussion, with several of the students being very self-serving and wholly uninterested in the concept, several who have volunteered or who are interested in volunteering but don't have the time or money, and one guy who even brought his own proposal for a volunteer project our class could do. (I must say it didn't go over very well with the group). Teehee. No longer feeling bitter. Am craving more Mexican food. Too bad we ate it all...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First recipe that I suggested to a Russian friend as "typical American" was Shepherd's Pie. She russified it by the addition of sour cream to the meat layer, making it sort of stroganoff style. But it was a big hit in her family.

Most typical American fares are "meat and potato" I would say. Doesn't have to be a hamburger at all ... a stuffed chicken with baked potatoes and corn on the cob, for example? Or in the summer, how about macaroni salad and barbequed ribs? Buttermilk bisquits? How about baked beans with molasses as a possible side dish also?

Or maybe Chili con carne, which started out Mexican, but is more truly Tex Mex or plain old American after all these years?

How about pumpkin pie?

I am sure I could come up with a long list of suggestions ... food is a favorite topic between my Russian friends and myself. I made chicken with dumplings when I was in Rostov Veliky and asked to cook (back in September).

Anonymous said...

Hey Jane did you know the eggroll and the fortune cookie are actually American culinary inventions..... Well you probably did but for any other food facts email me at lacolegoes@yahoo.com Oh yeah heres another started out in Texas. Nachos, how the story goes was three women had been out shopping all day drop in the restaurant and tell the waiter they wanted something fast so the waiter tells the cook this and cook fries up some tortilla's breaks them up pours on the cheese and carries it out the women so amazed by this asked what was it called well the chef had no name so the ladies ask whats his name and he replies Nacho so thus the Nachos were born. Another favorite is the birth of the potato chip. Anyways you have my e-mail and I am happy to help with your American cuisine delima.