Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Russians in Pusan, a Candlelight Bath, and an Electronic Death

Russians in Pusan


One of my VEMZ students is going on a bit of a boondoggle trip to Pusan next month. Apparently it is a legitimate business-trip (I forget the company he's to be meeting with), but he has a family friend who lives there, and they've already begun planning on "enjoying the nightlife"! It was really exciting, telling him about the different things to see and do in Pusan, and I'm sure he'll have a great time. However, when I mentioned the Choryang Shopping Area for Foreigners (essentially the Russian district) and told him that it was full of Russians, he told me that they were all criminals there illegally and the area should be avoided! Hmmm. Whoopsie.


A Candlelight Bath

The power went out on the north side (my side) of my block of Prospect Lenina last night around 9pm. I'm not sure how long it was out... I went to bed at 11:30, and it was still off, although everything was working this morning. Luckily the heating systems are not connected to the electricity (it got down to -30C last night), and Nina M. busted out the candles. We had a long chat about the power grid, and the electric wiring in the apartment. Apparently, it's given to all sorts of spasms and jolts, which frequently fry electronics, and which once set Nina M's television on fire. This gives a new glimpse into what somehow bypassed my surge protector to fry my AC/DC converter and char my motherboard. Sigh. I took a shower by candlelight, which was interesting, mainly because Nina M. kept insisting that it would be romantic. Um, what? A shower by myself is missing one of the key components needed to make it romantic. But I swear she mentioned the candlelight-shower-is-romantic thing at least four times. An odd sense of humor she has. Anyway, I stayed up until 11:30 reading by candlelight, and developing a new appreciation for all those people who lived in the pre-electrified world and managed to accomplish things by candlelight.


An Electronic Death

My baby Compaq is truly dead. Finito. Time to bury him. My harddrive has been installed on the server here at the AH, so I once again have access to all my files (tons of photos, all those wonderful *.png files, and the WD40 story, among others... yay!). Unfortunately, this was done because there is no hope for my laptop. It cannot be repaired. Period. [Insert profanity here.] It seems I shall now be buying a new laptop.





No comments: